Friday, February 8, 2013

Red Hearts & Sappy Poems

   When I was just a youngster (around 7 or 8), I despised Valentine's Day.  It was SO embarrassing to have to give the boys at school little Valentine's cards with sappy poems asking them to "Hug Me" or "Be Mine".  (My stomach turns a bit even now just thinking about it.)  I made sure that the cards that got handed to the boys were of the utmost platonic nature.  It even made me blush to give those lovey dovey cards to the girls, but I'd have rather died than give them to the boys.  The only redeeming thing about Valentine's day was the candy.  The candy almost made up for all my trouble... almost.  It would have been much easier to stomach if it hadn't declared that someone (possibly a boy) wanted me to "OXOX".  (As you can see, I took Valentine's Day a bit too seriously.)
   Our school had a Valentine's box contest every year.  There were some pretty neat boxes that came out of that contest, but mine wasn't one of them.  I hated making Valentine's boxes.  I just barely tolerated art class at school, but making me do something artsy at home on my own time was definitely crossing a line.  My mother was totally exasperated with me and my lack of excitement for those despicable boxes.  I remember crying great buckets of tears as my Mom tethered me to the kitchen table and pushed me to be creative.  I'm not creative in the least.  At least not in the art department.
   I remember the year that I finally put my foot down and told everyone involved that I was not under any circumstances going to participate in the contest.  You can't imagine the intense relief I felt at finally not having to cut out endless pink and red hearts.  I was free!
   My Mom however, tried everything she could think of to get me to make a box.  "You know you're the only one who isn't going to have a box.  You're gonna feel pretty silly."
   "I don't care.  I'm not making a box."
   "What are you going to tell people when they ask why you didn't make a box this year?"
   A pause to think for a bit.  A shrug, along with, "I don't know, but I'm not going to make a box."
   She said, "Okay." and sighed at my stubbornness.  Thankfully she let the matter drop.
   I showed up at school on Valentine's Day with just a plastic bag for a "box".  It was a bit awkward when people asked where my box was.  I just told them that I didn't decorate a box that year.  I got quite a few puzzled looks.  No one had ever not made a box.  It was beyond their comprehension I guess.
   When it came time to give our cards to each other, people kept asking where my box was.  I told them to just throw 'em on my desk.  They did.  There really wasn't any regret in my system or feelings of being silly that day.  Oh, every once in a while it would hit in a small dose, but over all, I was feeling good!  That was it!  I never again made a box and I can honestly say that it was a good deal.  I was still uncomfortable handing out those goofy cards, but I could live with that as long as I didn't have to wield a scissors and buy construction paper in bulk.
Eight years ago.
   Fast forward about 12 or 13 years.  There was this really nice guy who was rather handsome.  Anyway, this particular dude had asked me out (kind of) a couple of months earlier.  He had asked me out before harvest.  We went on one date and then I didn't hear anything from him until harvest was over 2 and a half months later.  Yeah, I've twisted his ear for doing that to me.  I think he felt bad that he made me cry.
   It was Valentine's Day.  We had plans to spend the day together in the big city.  One little problem.  I was SICK.  Fever, chills, the whole kit and caboodle.  The first time that Valentine's Day meant anything to me and I felt awful!  I never said a word.  I was determined to go on a date with him even if it put me in bed for a month.  So I did.  I have no idea how I made it through the day, but it was special just to spend it with him.  We had fun just being together.  It didn't really matter what we were doing, just as long as it was together.  I fell into bed that night and relived the day with a smile.  It was so great to be chosen and know that someone thought that I was worth getting to know.  Six months later that very same man asked me to be his wife!
   As you can tell, Valentine's Day is sorta special to me.  Well, it is in the years that I'm not too tired to notice that it's February.  I'm in charge of planning something to do this year and I think I've got a humdinger of a plan!  I'm excited!
   Since it's all about love, I've been reading 1 Corinthians 13.  (Well, okay, it helps that I'm the women's Sunday School teacher this month and that's the text I'm supposed to teach on this Sunday.)  When I was a little girl, I wanted to know more about romantic love.  So, I went to the Bible and I looked up the word "love".  I was directed to 1 Corinthians 13.  I was so disappointed.  That wasn't romantic love at all!  It was just run-of-the-mill-everyday love.  How boring!  I wanted passion and adventure!  This whole thing of sacrifice, patience, gentleness, thinking the best about others; that wasn't something that I was all that interested in.  I couldn't see how it applied to romance.  Now I know better.  I know that love is a verb.  It takes work and effort, but the pay off is well worth the hardship.  Marriage has taught me that.  Being a Mom has taught me that.  God has gently reminded me that I can be a pain in the rear sometimes, but He thinks that I am well worth the sacrifice of His only Son.  His love for me is full of passion, sacrifice, and adventure, plus all that other stuff that I once thought was boring.  It's exciting to be loved so much!
   Anyway, I hope that this Valentine's Day is special for you in some way.  Whether it is spent with a spouse, boyfriend or girlfriend, parent, or child, it's a great opportunity to show those close to you just how much you want to sacrifice your own personal comfort for their good, always think the best about them, exercise patience on their behalf, or put your life on the line for them!  (Sounds kind of ominous when you put it like that!)  Yup, that's what love can sometimes entail, but let's not give up, it's worth it!
Picture taken a couple of months ago.
Boy, are we old or what! 

   Happy Valentine's Day!


   

2 comments:

  1. SO Cute Jody and such a good reminder that love is not always what we think it is. Yeah, I remember the days of the Valentine boxes. Loved em! I also remember you spouting words of poison about them. I'm also pretty sure I remember being one of the people that heckled you for it. Still not very sorry. It made for a good story right? Love you :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned a lot in my study of 1 Corinthians 13 which was cut short due to stomach flu. Agape love is pretty intense.
      You are an artsy little squid, so I'm sure that you enjoyed those horrible boxes! I forgive you for your insensitivity! ;)

      Delete