Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Romance: Farmer Style

   As I mentioned in a previous post, I spent a day in the fields harvesting with my man and our crew.  It was such a fun day!  I thoroughly enjoyed myself!  I did miss my girls a bit, but I knew they were having fun at Grandma's house.
   When I left home I thought that I had my cell phone with me, but alas, upon arriving at the field, I found that I had forgotten it at home.  That is a bad deal my friends, because one doesn't want to be "phoneless" when in the field.  (Yes, I know that 18 years ago, we didn't think anything about not having a cell, but I feel lost without mine handy.)  Especially as the one tractor does not have a radio and one must be able to communicate when working with my father-in-law.  (I need instruction as I don't regularly spend time in the tractor, and I have to know what's on the combine driver's mind.)
   I found my hubby and told him my tale of woe and informed him that I didn't want to be stuck in the tractor without a radio because I wouldn't be able to communicate at all.  He obligingly put me in the nice tractor.  (What a guy!)  He at least had a cell and could be reached if needed, plus he's better at reading his Dad's mind than I am. 
   Consequently, as my farmer took the "radioless" tractor (Don't you just love my made up words?)  and I didn't have a phone, we couldn't talk to each other.  It made me sad.  There we were, in the same field, and we couldn't talk all lovey to each other.  You have to understand that we call each other throughout the day a lot.  So to meet my man going the other way in his lonely tractor without the ability to pick on him, made me just about itch.
   It was so frustrating to me that I had to vent.  So, the next time I met him, I put my thumbs in my ears and stuck out my tongue.  Made me feel better.  He returned the favor.  He's so cute when he's being goofy!
   When we met again, I added crossed eyes to the mix.  I fear that the effect was lost on him as he was too far away to get a good view. 
   We took a break for lunch and had a glorious time of venting our pent up thoughts to one another.  There were people with us, so we had to be discreet.  Drat being discreet!  (Please do not get the wrong idea in imagining that we are sickeningly sweet or overly touchy feely with each other all the time.  We just enjoy picking on one another and other people don't always get our sense of humor, so it's best to tone it down in public.) 
   After dinner we went back to our lonely tractors and again faithfully followed our combine.  But a couple hours into our routine of back and forth, we ran out of opened field and Oh glory, my farmer climbed into my tractor and we got to ride together! 
   He told me that it was bugging him all day that we couldn't communicate.  That completely warmed my heart!  To know that a couple times he took out his phone and dialed my number before remembering that I was phoneless just tickled me!  He really does value our rambling conversations of little importance!
   I learned something.  Sometimes men veil their compliments and we women have to listen closely.  It's probably just because of the difference in men and women.  Appreciation is there, we just have to realize it!  I shall be listening very closely in the future.
  When my man asks me to hop in the tractor and go disk a field, he is really paying me a compliment.  He trusts me with expensive equipment and knows that I'll do my best.  Or when he asks me to ride along when he goes for parts, he enjoys my company.  I especially like his nod of satisfaction when I make a prudent purchase that saves us money.  It's a compliment, I just gotta notice it!
   So you see, a day in the corn field really can be romantic in spite of not being able to talk to each other.  One just has to have a sense of humor.  



1 comment:

  1. You man whisperer you! :D Loved this entry it made me laugh after a long day. I actually alomst had tears squeezing out my eyelids because I want to go combining too. Miss you and all of yours. Many loves, Heidi

    ReplyDelete