Your precious child is sitting on the floor licking the sole of their shoe. When asked why on earth she would do such a thing, all you get for an answer is a shrug of the shoulders and an adorable smile.
You hear glass breaking and you run outside to investigate. Your two sons are systematically bashing out every basement window you have with a hammer. When confronted as to why they would do such a thing, they answer, "We just like to hear the glass breaking!"
You are relaxing in your chair and your children begin to rub your feet. It feels good, but a bit weird. Kinda wet and slimy. It feels nice so you don't say much because it isn't often that you get pampered. After a bit though, the wet feeling is starting to make you curious. You try to investigate, but don't see any lotions around. You finally ask, "What are you doing to me?"
Two little voices laugh and say, "We're rubbing your feet with spit Mommy!"
You walk outside and find your child perched on a tree branch about 8 ft. up. He has some sort of blanket strapped to his back with a system of yarn. When you ask what he is doing, he replies that he is trying to fly.
You hear childish laughter coming from somewhere in the house and you decide that you should probably investigate. You walk into your bedroom to find both of your children licking the mirror, and then standing back, and laughing like crazy.
It is my opinion that it is our job as parents to wake up the common sense that is lurking somewhere in their mind. Perhaps it is hiding behind the hair brained idea to try to ride the meek looking Mama cow who is innocently chewing her cud. Or maybe it's behind the idea of using Mom's best scissors to cut a path through the tall grass.
As I was thinking about some of the things that my daughters have done and things that I've heard that other children have done, I just shake my head in wonder. What goes through their little minds? Why do they think such things are a good idea?
It kinda reminds me of Jonah. Why in the wide world did he think that he could run from a God who can see everything? He was a fully grown man and he acted like a child! What was his excuse?
Or how about Moses. Instead of obeying God, he threw a tantrum and hit the rock instead of speaking to it.
![]() |
| This is how we roll some days! |
So, these guys have their childish mistakes recorded for all of humanity to read about. I'm glad that mine aren't public knowledge... well not all of them. Maybe I should give Jonah and Moses a break. I do ridiculous things too like kick offending doors and gain a severely stubbed toe for my stupidity.
I guess that I need to give my kids a break too. At least they have an excuse, inexperience. How are they supposed to figure out what does and doesn't work if they don't try it? Though, I must admit, trying to make wings out of a blanket might be hazardous to one's health.
In my never ending quest for a clean house, I find myself grumping about the "experiences" my children are exploring. Like finding my pastry brush being used as a paint brush to paint the kitchen walls. Or my kitchen towels disappearing to be used as baby blankets. Or... and the list could go on.
If God can have patience with us big people who do dumb things and know better, how much more should I have patience with my little inexperienced people who are just learning what the world is about. I don't always. I'm learning how to be a Mom right alongside their quest for common sense. This Mommy gig is hard! I make mistakes. I guess it keeps me humble!

No comments:
Post a Comment