Saturday, June 14, 2014

Daddy Lovin's

This Father's Day I'd like to honor my hubby.


He's amazing.


                           

    His little girls love him.  I'm not saying that because it's what you're supposed to say on Father's Day.  I mean those little girls absolutely adore their Daddy.  It's pretty awesome to watch two little girls running as fast as their little legs can carry them toward their Daddy.  He crouches down to meet them with wide open arms and an ear to ear smile.  I've seen that happen a hundred times and it makes me tear up every single time.

   Before we had children I told my man that if we were blessed with girls that I would do all in my power to make him a hero.  I also warned him that if he didn't live up to hero status that I'd kick his hind end.  I needn't have added my warning.  He's a great Dad.  Some days as I watch him with the girls, I am amazed at how effortless he makes parenting look.

   J.J.'s day starts by trip tromping down the steps, climbing up onto our bed, over her daddy, and then burrowing up under his arm and snuggling in close for some daddy lovin's.

   Sometimes I get jealous because Daddy is the favorite.  Then I remember all the little girls who would give their right arm to have just a minute of what J.J. enjoys nearly every morning.  (Because, of course, she gets up at the crack of dawn. Right about the time Daddy needs to get up anyway.  She's a pretty cute alarm clock.  Though, it's not so cute on the days when we could actually sleep in.)  

   He's a hands on Dad.  He always has been.  From Bri's first breath, he's been there giving baths, changing diapers, kissing boo boo's, and whatever else needs to be done.  When I can't get everything done, he's been known to unload the dishwasher, vacuum, and help with the laundry.

   He takes his role as the spiritual leader in our home seriously too.  Not just in doing family devotions, but also in the decisions he makes as to the direction of our home.  The girls often find him kneeling in prayer.  They see him read the Bible every day.  They see his patience when things go wrong.  They will never hear foul language from him.  In nearly 10 years of marriage I don't think that I've ever heard him say a bad word.  Ever.

   He's also pretty fun.

No, my living room is not painted a hideous green.  It's a much nicer color in real life.
  Honest.

   They're pull-ups.  I don't recall just what he was doing, but it was entertaining.  Obviously.

   For a while the nightly routine was: brush teeth, go up the stairs hanging upside down over Daddy's shoulder like a bat, wait at the top of the stairs for Daddy to hide, and then go find him and scream at the top of their lungs when he jumps out at them, pray, and sing a few songs, lights out. It gets kinda wild around here sometimes. 

   He gave J.J. her first taste of dill pickle at 4 months.  Lemons quickly followed.  Along with whatever else he could think of that might produce a funny reaction.  And yes, like all good daddies, he video taped their goofy little expressions.  Posterity's sake and all.
   

                             

    He works hard to provide for us.  We lack nothing.

   When it's 100 degrees out and windier than a gaggle of gossiping old ladies, he's out in the fields working.  For 10 months out of the year he works from sun up to sun down for us.  Because he loves us.  It's humbling.  

   We never talked about what I would do after we had children.  It was just understood between us that I would stay at home and raise whatever children God gifted to us.  I'm grateful to my farmer and to God for allowing us to live that out.  Without my hubby's hard work and dedication, that wouldn't be possible.  

   Thank you Love for taking such good care of us.  We, I, appreciate it immensely. 

   You know what really blesses me about my husband?  The fact that when the girls are old enough to fully understand just who our Heavenly Father is, they will have a proper view of Him.  That's HUGE! Just because my farmer took the time to love them like a real man should.  Maybe they will miss out on some of the teen angst that is running rampant in this world.  Simply because their Daddy took the time to imagine Bethlehem with them. Because he crouches down to their level looks them in the eye and tells them that they're beautiful.  Because he listens with his heart and not just his ears.  They know that Daddy values them and that they are safe with him.

   Oh, don't get me wrong, the man is not perfect.  He has his parenting "moments" when the well of patience has run dry or it just takes too much energy to keep up with the girls.  He's made mistakes.  But he doesn't give up and I love that about him.

   Our Heavenly Abba deserves some praise too this Father's Day.  The picture of my hubby crouched down with arms open wide, pure joy radiating from his face as he waits for our daughters to reach him is a pretty accurate portrayal of our Heavenly Father.  At least that's how I imagine Him to be.  No matter where I've been or how I've messed up, He welcomes me with a smile, arms wide open, eager to embrace me.  I love the intimacy of that picture.  After my man scoops the girls up into his arms, he talks to them.  He listens as they tell him what's on their little hearts.  Just like God does for me.
      
   But God is perfect.  He doesn't make parenting mistakes.  He's got the toughest love imaginable.  His patience is endless.  His mercy is great.  His faithfulness is unchangeable.  

   I'm grateful to my Heavenly Father for not giving up on me when I sin over and over or when I fail to obey right away.  I struggle with doubt and fear, but God just keeps lovingly proving Himself to me again and again.  Because He is good.

   God does that thing that all good parents do, He works in the back round of our lives putting up a protecting hand here, averting a crisis there.  It'll be interesting to see someday all of the little things our Abba has quietly done for us that we have absolutely no clue about. 
   
   Sometimes I wonder how many times He has made a drunk pass out before climbing behind the wheel of a car.  Saving not only their life, but my life and the lives of my children too.  

   How many times has He directed highway traffic in such a way so that I can safely turn my tractor and grain cart across traffic without hitting a driver coming from behind who wants to pass my slow moving rig?  I can't see behind me, so I always pray that no one is trying to pass me and hold my breath as I make the turn.  So far we've been good.  It's been close a time or two, but no disasters.  That is definitely my Heavenly Abba's care.  Definitely.  

   Thanks Abba, for your care for us.  Thanks for protecting us in ways we probably don't even realize.  Thanks for loving us no matter what.  Thanks for not giving up on us and seeing our potential when we feel like there's no hope for us.  Thanks for welcoming us with open arms and a genuine smile.  Thanks for being excited about us.  We are grateful.


   
   Happy Father's Day Love.
You're the best!
    

   

   







No comments:

Post a Comment