Thursday, November 20, 2014

Gratitude & Little Girls

I have this adorable, curly haired, little three year old.  She's one for the books.

At the beginning of this month of gratitude, I decided that I was going to start voicing my thankfulness more often. From the food in our frig to the bench we sit on to put on our shoes.  I'd been hearing a lot of ingratitude around here lately and it was starting to get to me.

My littlest picked up on it.  Out of the blue she began asking me, "Are you grateful Mama?"
God's little mouthpiece.


"Yes, I am!  We have so much to thank Jesus for!  He's been so good to us!"

"Are you grateful for your girls Mama?"

I'd give her a squeeze and a peck on the cheek, "YES!  I am SO grateful for my girls!"

Then she began asking me in obvious moments of frustration, "Mama, are you grateful?"

Wow.  That question spoken in her little voice has the effect of water thrown on my angry fire.  I melt.  My voice quiets and I reply, "Yes, love, I am grateful for my girls." 

I think it's God.  I've been crying out to Him for help to do this parenting thing.  I get so frustrated some days.  I get tired of living in a mess.  I get aggravated that all the toys that I picked up so that I could vacuum, get pulled out three minutes after I put them away.  I get sick of a bathroom sink that is always dirty.  And when I begin to rampage about such things that won't matter in eternity, God is using my little person to remind me that she is eternity.  I can't take my clean house with me to Heaven, but I can take her.  But only if I can effectively show her the love of Jesus.  My responses are pivotal.  I know that her eternity doesn't fully rest on my shoulders, but a good portion of how she views God does.  It's a responsibility far bigger than keeping my house in tip top shape.  It's eternal.  That's a long time. 

I feel like a bit of a failure.  I make mistakes.  A lot.  But God is showing me that even in my failure, He is there and He cares.  He wants to help.  It's a great comfort.

She continues to ask me that question from time to time.  It's good for me.  I set out to teach my girls about gratitude, but the little buggers turned the tables on me!  They've become good reminders to count my blessings in moments when I'd rather knock their cute little heads together.  (Just being honest!)

God's help often comes in unexpected ways!  And I am grateful!










No comments:

Post a Comment