I wonder, does God see me? Am I really of importance in the bigger picture? Does my dedicated service to Him and my family go unnoticed, does He care?
My days can seem so routine and mundane. Over and over it's the same thing. Is this really the purpose for which God made me? To do an endless stream of dishes? Laundry is always calling. This work of teacher, mother, farmer's wife over and over every day endlessly, does it have significance? Is my contribution to this world valuable at all?
Hometown population: 2,090
County population: 16,750
World population: 7.6 Billion
County population: 16,750
Home State population: 1.93 Million
USA population: 327.876 Million
World population: 7.6 Billion
It's easy to get lost in those numbers. I mean, I'm one measly person in all those billions. Surely, as God looks on, I fade into the crowd.
"God is enthroned above the circle of the earth;
it's inhabitants are like grasshoppers..."
Isaiah 40:22
Then God whispers to my heart, "I am El Roi."
Thousands of years ago there lived an Egyptian slave girl. Hagar had few rights. Her body, time, and energy were not her own. She was chosen to be a surrogate for her master's barren wife. She was to bear a baby, and immediately upon his birth, Hagar was to hand him over to her mistress to raise.
I can't imagine the range of emotions she must have felt. None of this was her choice. Her master didn't love her, but yet she was carrying his child.
Hagar ran away.
The Bible says that by a stream in the wilderness God met Hagar. He looked down and saw her pain, and desperation. She was important to Him.
A slave girl.
A nobody.
The all powerful God and Creator, leaned down and talked to her. He told her that her child mattered. God told her that her service to Abram and Sari had purpose. Not all the news about her son was cheery, but God took the time to zero in on her and talk to her and give her hope. He wanted her to know that He cared. Her next steps mattered as well as her attitude while she carried out her purpose. He met her at her lowest point in life, lifted her chin, and gave her hope. (Genesis 16)
In awe and reverence, Hagar recognized Him as El Roi: The God Who Sees Me.
Oh, the depth of that name!
Oh, the incredible knowledge that a powerful God sits enthroned far above the earth, but still sees me, loves me, and knows the secret me.
It's personal!
HE sees ME!
I have a picture in my head of what this looks like.
I imagine God, sitting on His throne, intently watching the activity on the earth below. He leans forward with interest, everything and everyone else blurs as His eye lands on me. I imagine love pouring out of the smile on His face. Not because I'm perfect or good all the time (I'm not), but because I matter to Him. Just because I'm me.
Every tear, every frustration, every sacrifice, every hard choice, He sees. It seems so insignificant on a world scale to know that my choices have an impact, but they do. I matter because He has made me and given me worth and value. He takes my small efforts and gives them meaning and causes them to touch hearts and do His work, for His glory. That's humbling, but exciting too! The Hard and Mundane in life are not wasted or meaningless. There is a purpose and my response is pivotal.
Friends, this is not just me.
God sees YOU.
YOU matter.
Everything about YOU matters to El Roi.
If the thought of God knowing you and zeroing in on your life scares you, you most likely don't have a relationship with Him. I urge you, get to know Him. Or if you do have a relationship with Him and this still makes you nervous, purpose and choose to know Him on a deeper level. You won't regret it.
God sent Jesus, His only Son to take the punishment for your sins. This is the ultimate love. I implore you, call on Him now. Ask Him to reveal Himself to you. He's not scary or harsh. He is reaching out to you and wants a relationship with you. Forgiveness is abundantly available for those who are willing to surrender and repent.
The love waiting for you is more than you can fathom.
I can't imagine the range of emotions she must have felt. None of this was her choice. Her master didn't love her, but yet she was carrying his child.
Hagar ran away.
The Bible says that by a stream in the wilderness God met Hagar. He looked down and saw her pain, and desperation. She was important to Him.
A slave girl.
A nobody.
The all powerful God and Creator, leaned down and talked to her. He told her that her child mattered. God told her that her service to Abram and Sari had purpose. Not all the news about her son was cheery, but God took the time to zero in on her and talk to her and give her hope. He wanted her to know that He cared. Her next steps mattered as well as her attitude while she carried out her purpose. He met her at her lowest point in life, lifted her chin, and gave her hope. (Genesis 16)
In awe and reverence, Hagar recognized Him as El Roi: The God Who Sees Me.
Oh, the depth of that name!
Oh, the incredible knowledge that a powerful God sits enthroned far above the earth, but still sees me, loves me, and knows the secret me.
It's personal!
HE sees ME!
I have a picture in my head of what this looks like.
I imagine God, sitting on His throne, intently watching the activity on the earth below. He leans forward with interest, everything and everyone else blurs as His eye lands on me. I imagine love pouring out of the smile on His face. Not because I'm perfect or good all the time (I'm not), but because I matter to Him. Just because I'm me.
Every tear, every frustration, every sacrifice, every hard choice, He sees. It seems so insignificant on a world scale to know that my choices have an impact, but they do. I matter because He has made me and given me worth and value. He takes my small efforts and gives them meaning and causes them to touch hearts and do His work, for His glory. That's humbling, but exciting too! The Hard and Mundane in life are not wasted or meaningless. There is a purpose and my response is pivotal.
Friends, this is not just me.
God sees YOU.
YOU matter.
Everything about YOU matters to El Roi.
If the thought of God knowing you and zeroing in on your life scares you, you most likely don't have a relationship with Him. I urge you, get to know Him. Or if you do have a relationship with Him and this still makes you nervous, purpose and choose to know Him on a deeper level. You won't regret it.
God sent Jesus, His only Son to take the punishment for your sins. This is the ultimate love. I implore you, call on Him now. Ask Him to reveal Himself to you. He's not scary or harsh. He is reaching out to you and wants a relationship with you. Forgiveness is abundantly available for those who are willing to surrender and repent.
The love waiting for you is more than you can fathom.
"The LORD your God is with you,
the Mighty Warrior who saves.
He will take great delight in you;
in His love, He will no longer rebuke you,
but will rejoice over you with singing."
Zephaniah 3:17

Thank you for this. And for telling me about this name of God's. Sometimes I need to remember this also. And Zeph 3:17 I love that He sings over us/me. This all made me smile today. *hug*
ReplyDelete