Sunday, March 10, 2013

Seeing Potential

   "When you look for the bad in mankind expecting to find it, you surely will."
Eleanor H. Porter

   Do you recognize that quote?  Well, if you've ever read the book, "Pollyanna" or have seen the movie of the same title, you'll be familiar with it.  This was my favorite movie when I was little.  I would watch it whenever I visited my Grandma.  We didn't have a TV in our home (for which I am very grateful to my parents for eliminating that influence).  But my Grandma did.  She kept a few good, "little girl" movies around for my enjoyment.
   The quote above came from that book/movie.  That quote has stuck with me over the years.  It used to shape how I viewed people.  I briefly forgot the lessons that I learned from applying that quote to my outlook, but slowly and surely God is bringing me around again.
  I know of a young lady who saw some little children who were struggling.  They needed someone to believe in them.  Someone to show them the love of Jesus.  Someone to gently come alongside them and teach them how to be useful citizens.  Someone to stick with them when life got ugly.  Someone who wouldn't give up on them. It was hard work.  It wasn't without its discouragements and seeming setbacks.  But she stuck with it.  She cried out to God for strength.  She went above and beyond the call of duty for these children.  She saw their potential and looked for the good in them.  She now has the privilege of watching those same children continue to ask good questions and seek the Lord.  What a reward!  What a blessing!  As I have stood by and watched her sacrificing her comfort and time, I have been challenged.
   In the "Man of La Mancha", (which I am in the process of reading), the slightly mad hero chooses a love interest from a brothel and proceeds to tell her how much he loves and adores her.  That he views her as a lady and not a prostitute.  He gives her a new name.  He treats her kindly and tries to show her that she is not the sum total of her many sins.  He sees her potential  and he looks for the good in her.  At first she rejects and scorns him.  But deep inside her, something sprouts and slowly hope begins to grow.
   I know another young lady who prayed earnestly that God would use her in whatever way He saw fit.  She went to school to become a teacher.  She prayed that God would send her to kids who really need to see the love of Jesus in someone with skin.  She is now a high school teacher to drop outs and delinquents.  Young men and women that everyone has given up on and no one else wants to help.  She sees potential in them and purposely looks for the good in them.  I admire her greatly.  She joyfully gives God the credit for finding her the job she always dreamed about!  Think of it!  She teaches teens who have given up on themselves and consequently act like it.  It's not my idea of a dream job, but obviously she is called.
   As I look around me, I see people who are choosing to see the potential and good in others.  I'm learning.  I'm not a pristine example of how to see past people's hurts and view them as God sees them (I'm really not even a very good example), but God is teaching me.  It's a process.  It's also a choice.  It's hard.  Many times I don't want to think the best about people.  I'd rather label them in my mind according to my hastily formed opinion and walk away.  Or sometimes it's an opinion about someone that I know very well and with whom I disagree.  But God called me and loved me while I was yet a stinky, dirty, mess of a human being.  He saw my potential, He saw something good in me.  I am SO grateful He did.  Where would I be if He hadn't?  Over and over the Bible confirms that I have potential.  Not only me, but you too!  He has created each and every one of us with a unique gift and calling and only you can fulfill it.  
   I guess that I shall endeavor (with a lot of help from God) to use my spyglass to look for the good in others because I firmly believe that I will find it!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us,
in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8

No comments:

Post a Comment