The other day a rather large package was delivered to our driveway. We had been expecting this delivery for quite a while and my farmer was prepared (or so he thought) to get it off the semi trailer. He greeted the delivery guy and went to get the tractor to unload. In the midst of unloading the awkward box, things went wrong and the box was half off the trailer and parts of it were in pieces.
I was watching out the window from the warmth of my entry way. I put the girls down for their naps and then decided to go out and view the problem.
I was a bit anxious because I know that some semi drivers are tough cookies and can get irritated rather easily. I was hoping that this gentleman was not too put out with the situation. He couldn't leave and it didn't look like things were moving very quickly to get the box off the semi.
I exited the house and walked toward the mess. As I got closer, the semi driver greeted me and made mention that "the muscles" had arrived. I laughed and joked with him. I was relieved that he seemed to be pretty cool about the situation. In fact, he was really nice. Very calm and collected. I was impressed! It made me wonder... was this man a Christian? I wanted to ask, but I'm a coward.
My handsome hubby went into the shop to get something and the semi driver turned to me and asked if we are Mennonites. I told him that we are.
He said, "Well, I'm an Evangelical Christian, but I think we believe pretty much the same thing though don't we?"
"Yep, just a few minor differences, but not much."
He then did something that made my cowardliness seem even more shameful. He began to question me.
"Do you believe that Jesus is the Son of God?"
"Yes."
"Do you believe that He was born of a virgin?"
"Sure do!"
"Do you believe that He died and rose again on the third day?"
"Definitely!"
"Do you believe that He will return for the saints?"
"Eagerly awaiting His return!"
(He asked me a couple more questions, but I can't remember for sure what they were.)
Then he did something that completely warmed my heart and made me joyful to my tiptoes. He waved his hand and said, "Awwww, you're a Christian! I'll see you in Heaven!"
Just like that he cut through the red tape and conditions that some people put on being a Christian. He didn't feel a need to nitpick about our differences or try to convince me that I'm wrong. Nope, he just acknowledged me as a sister in Christ and we had a splendid chat about the Bible! He was an unexpected encouragement.
I have decided that I want to be like Ray. He realized that, while we may not agree on everything, it's okay. He was content to allow Christ to be my judge. I am content to let Christ be his judge. We both understand that the Holy Spirit is powerful enough to keep us on the straight and narrow. I could tell that there was something obviously different about Ray. I could tell that Jesus is growing the fruit of the Spirit in him. I can't deny it. That's one of the things that Jesus told us to look for. I could plainly see patience, kindness, and gentleness in Ray.
Ray may never know it, but he made my day! As we parted ways, he told us that he's gonna look for us in Heaven someday! What a guy! What an encouragement! What a witness!
He definitely gave me something to think about... and smile about!
Wednesday, February 20, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment