"This Little Light of Mine"
This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.
This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.
This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.
Not going to make it shine, just going let it shine.
Not going to make it shine, just going let it shine.
Not going to make it shine, just going let it shine.
Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.
Chances are pretty good that you have never heard the second verse put quite that way. I hadn't either until just a couple of weeks ago. My little girl was given a CD with a Bible story and songs on it and this was how the second verse of this song was recorded.
The first time I heard this verse, I thought, "What a weird way to sing the song." After I thought about it for a bit, I thought, "What a great way to sing the song!"
Christians sometimes pose the question, "What do people around me think of how I portray Jesus?" That question is often followed by, "Am I being a bright enough light to them?" I wonder sometimes if we make our lives miserable and put undue pressure on ourselves by asking such unanswerable questions. It's pretty much impossible to answer those questions because we can't be objective judges of ourselves or others. And because each one of us is created differently.
How many different light sources can you think of? Well, there's a light bulb, a flashlight, a candle, a spot light, a head light, lantern... I could name a good many more, but I don't have room or the time to dream them up.
Each kind of light that I mentioned is different and shines differently and is used for different jobs. That's kind of how we as Christians shine to those in the world. The light of Christ in us comes from the same source, but how we shine to others is as unique and different as each individual! Isn't that great! So go ahead and cook that gigantic pot of goulash for the neighbors! Or plan a fun night with the neighborhood children! If that is your gift, Praise the Lord! (I'm more than happy to let those things up to you because I'm really not very good at them. I'd much rather write a blog.)
You may be able to reach someone that I can't because your light is just the right kind that will shatter the darkness in that individual's heart. I might be able to reach someone else that you can't because of the unique light that God gave me.
I believe that a sincere Christian, out of a close relationship with the Heavenly Father, will automatically (to a certain extent) radiate the difference that Christ makes in their lives. It's hard to miss a person who shines with the love of Christ. However, some will be turned off by such love and others will be drawn to it.
We can't make our lights shine. It's really not our job. If we try to make it shine, it's a pitiful light and won't last long. Our lights shine because we let the love of Christ flow through us in the unique way that God gave each of us! So relax, you can only do so much, God will take care of the rest. You can't be everything to everyone. Only Christ can do that and there are many examples in the Bible where people walked away from perfect love because they just weren't ready or able to see Jesus for who He is. A lot of how an unsaved person views Christ/a Christian depends upon a bunch of things that are beyond our control.
In the Bible we can read the story of the rich young ruler in Matt. 19:16-22. The young man came seeking eternal life. Jesus offered it to him, but the young man walked away. What did Jesus do? He looked on him with love...and He watched the man walk away. He didn't go after him and pester him to choose life. Not even Jesus, the perfect light, was able to overcome the free will of the rich young ruler.
There is an element of asking yourself if maybe you need to make an effort to draw closer to God, but I think that that's really all we need to or should focus on. How the world sees us isn't our responsibility. (Remember I am talking about a sincere, seeking Christian, not a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants "Christian".) God doesn't call us to worry about changing our Christian walk to tailor fit the needs of everyone around us. (Which would be completely impossible to do seeing as we are mere humans and can't read the hearts of those around us.) There is no need to worry about someone slipping through the cracks because we just can't seem to reach them. (God is big enough to care for His creation!) You may not be the light that is called for in that situation. Just because you see a need doesn't mean that you are automatically called to fill it. It may take some prayer and waiting on the Lord to know. He has called us to listen to His promptings and follow His lead and He will show us how He wants us to shine.
That, however, is not meant to be a cop out. I have learned that sometimes God asks me to do something that is not comfortable or it's something that I really dislike. (Like making goulash!) I just need to be sure that it's God's calling and not something that I am guilted or pushed into doing.
I have been in situations before where I felt pushed into service because someone thought I would be good at it or there was no one else to fill the empty spot. Sometimes that can be God's calling, but I'm learning to pray about things before agreeing to do them.
We really just need to spend time with our Savior and go from there. Too often I think that we take far too much responsibility upon ourselves for how the lost view us. Sure, it's important, but it's not really something that we have all that much control over. Do your best to emulate Christ in your own unique way, but remember you can't save people, only God can do that. You can't control the thoughts, preconceived ideas, or emotions of anyone other than yourself and then only with God's help. You can help God out best by being available and flexible in His hand!
So relax and let Christ's light shine through you in your own God given way as you fall deeper in love with the Heavenly Father!
How many different light sources can you think of? Well, there's a light bulb, a flashlight, a candle, a spot light, a head light, lantern... I could name a good many more, but I don't have room or the time to dream them up.
Each kind of light that I mentioned is different and shines differently and is used for different jobs. That's kind of how we as Christians shine to those in the world. The light of Christ in us comes from the same source, but how we shine to others is as unique and different as each individual! Isn't that great! So go ahead and cook that gigantic pot of goulash for the neighbors! Or plan a fun night with the neighborhood children! If that is your gift, Praise the Lord! (I'm more than happy to let those things up to you because I'm really not very good at them. I'd much rather write a blog.)
You may be able to reach someone that I can't because your light is just the right kind that will shatter the darkness in that individual's heart. I might be able to reach someone else that you can't because of the unique light that God gave me.
I believe that a sincere Christian, out of a close relationship with the Heavenly Father, will automatically (to a certain extent) radiate the difference that Christ makes in their lives. It's hard to miss a person who shines with the love of Christ. However, some will be turned off by such love and others will be drawn to it.
We can't make our lights shine. It's really not our job. If we try to make it shine, it's a pitiful light and won't last long. Our lights shine because we let the love of Christ flow through us in the unique way that God gave each of us! So relax, you can only do so much, God will take care of the rest. You can't be everything to everyone. Only Christ can do that and there are many examples in the Bible where people walked away from perfect love because they just weren't ready or able to see Jesus for who He is. A lot of how an unsaved person views Christ/a Christian depends upon a bunch of things that are beyond our control.
In the Bible we can read the story of the rich young ruler in Matt. 19:16-22. The young man came seeking eternal life. Jesus offered it to him, but the young man walked away. What did Jesus do? He looked on him with love...and He watched the man walk away. He didn't go after him and pester him to choose life. Not even Jesus, the perfect light, was able to overcome the free will of the rich young ruler.
There is an element of asking yourself if maybe you need to make an effort to draw closer to God, but I think that that's really all we need to or should focus on. How the world sees us isn't our responsibility. (Remember I am talking about a sincere, seeking Christian, not a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants "Christian".) God doesn't call us to worry about changing our Christian walk to tailor fit the needs of everyone around us. (Which would be completely impossible to do seeing as we are mere humans and can't read the hearts of those around us.) There is no need to worry about someone slipping through the cracks because we just can't seem to reach them. (God is big enough to care for His creation!) You may not be the light that is called for in that situation. Just because you see a need doesn't mean that you are automatically called to fill it. It may take some prayer and waiting on the Lord to know. He has called us to listen to His promptings and follow His lead and He will show us how He wants us to shine.
That, however, is not meant to be a cop out. I have learned that sometimes God asks me to do something that is not comfortable or it's something that I really dislike. (Like making goulash!) I just need to be sure that it's God's calling and not something that I am guilted or pushed into doing.
I have been in situations before where I felt pushed into service because someone thought I would be good at it or there was no one else to fill the empty spot. Sometimes that can be God's calling, but I'm learning to pray about things before agreeing to do them.
We really just need to spend time with our Savior and go from there. Too often I think that we take far too much responsibility upon ourselves for how the lost view us. Sure, it's important, but it's not really something that we have all that much control over. Do your best to emulate Christ in your own unique way, but remember you can't save people, only God can do that. You can't control the thoughts, preconceived ideas, or emotions of anyone other than yourself and then only with God's help. You can help God out best by being available and flexible in His hand!
So relax and let Christ's light shine through you in your own God given way as you fall deeper in love with the Heavenly Father!
Amen! Again! I really want to share this post. I have had these thoughts so often and I haven't been able to articulate it so well! God is using you. Keep writing.
ReplyDelete